VA Central Western Massachusetts Healthcare System
Nutrition and Food Services
About the Program
The mission of the department of Nutrition and Food Services (N&FS) at the Northampton Veterans’ Affairs Medical Center (VAMC) is to provide excellent comprehensive and innovative nutrition and food service programs for our Veterans and stakeholders that are evidence-based and support the full continuum of healthcare through interdisciplinary collaboration both within and outside the Veterans Health Administration (VHA).
Our role at the Northampton VAMC is to:
- Provide evidenced-based nutrition care through the use of Medical Nutrition Therapy (MNT) across the continuum of care.
- Provide effective nutrition education and counseling to veterans on both an inpatient and outpatient basis.
- Provide guidance and policy oversight to the provision of high quality patient food service.
- Support wellness and disease prevention through the promotion of healthy food choices.
- Mentor, educate and lead future Registered Dietitians through VA Dietetic Internship programs.
You may benefit from the services of N&FS if:
- You are diabetic.
- You have heart disease or a risk factor for heart disease (such as elevated cholesterol levels or high blood pressure).
- You are overweight or obese.
- You have a food sensitivity or food allergy.
- You have Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) or Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD).
- You would like information of a gluten-free diet.
- You have difficulty eating and/or swallowing.
- You are losing weight without trying and/or are underweight.
- You are on tube-feeding.
- You are on a psychiatric medication and have gained weight.
- You have a nutrition-related question or concern.
The services of N&FS include:
- Outpatient nutrition education (in both individual and group settings)
- Inpatient nutrition education (in both individual and group settings)
- Comprehensive nutritional assessment and care planning
- MOVE! Weight Management Program
- Diabetes Education
- Home Based Primary Care
- Home Telehealth
There are six Registered Dietitians employed at the Northampton VAMC. Each of our dietitians are registered nationally with the Committee on Dietetic Registration and are also licensed with the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. In addition, all of our dietitians are members of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
If you are a veteran and would like to set up an appointment to meet with one of our dietitians, then please contact your primary care provider.
If you have any questions or concerns about the department of Nutrition and Food Services at the Northampton VAMC, then feel free to contact us at 413-584-4040, Extension 3111.
Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (formerly the American Dietetic Association) is your source for trustworthy, science-based food and nutrition information. As the world’s largest organization of food and nutrition professionals, the Academy is committed to improving the nation’s health and advancing the profession of dietetics through research, education and advocacy.
One size doesn’t fit all! Try out the interactive tools from the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) to get a personalized eating plan, or to plan and assess your food and physical activity choices based on the Dietary Guidelines for Americans.
MOVE! Weight Management Program
MOVE! is a national weight management program designed by the VHA National Center for Health Promotion and Disease Prevention (NCP), a part of the Office of Patient Care Services, to help veterans lose weight, keep it off and improve health.
Visit our page for information on how to enroll in the MOVE! program at the Northampton VAMC or one of its community-based outpatient clinics.
Click here to see MOVE! showcased on a local television station.
Fight Back! Keep Food Safe from Bacteria
Learn how to safely handle and prepare food to keep your friends, family and clients, as well as yourself, from getting sick with foodborne illness.
- VA Central Western Massachusetts Healthcare System
- 413-584-4040 Ext. 3111
Hours of Operation
- Mon-Fri 8:00am-4:30pm